Top Reasons to Visit
- Escape the crowds by heading into the backcountry. No lift lines here.
- Untouched powder stashes. Ski, board, snowshoe, and xc ski in rarely traveled to areas of the southern Sawatch.
- Miles of bike and hike trails right out the front door. Both the CDT and CT run alongside the hut.
- Beautiful landscapes and unspoiled mountain views. Watch the stars turn overhead from the warmth of your sleeping bag.
- Home comforts without having to carry the weight!
- Like-minded souls. Spend a few nights relaxing with some of your favorite people in the world. Who wouldn’t want to do that?
- Low environmental impact vacation.
Local Gear and Service Providers
- Salida Mountain Sports – Salida, CO
- The Trailhead – Buena Vista, CO
- Gear Library – Leadville, CO
- Monarch Tours – Snowmobile Rentals at the trailhead for the hut!
- Mt. Shavano Ski and Snowboard Shop – Garfield, CO
Sites of Interest
Mountain Flow Eco Wax – Did you know that our ski wax is full of petroleum that goes from our skis directly into our groundwater and into the ecosystem? That’s not even mentioning the production line. We really like this small company out of Colorado that is making a sustainable ski wax AND it even skis well!
CDOW Lynx Project – Lost Wonder Hut works hard to create an environment that is friendly not only to our backcountry users but also one that supports the native flora and fauna. We hope to one day see Lynx up at the hut.