- Hut coordinates WGS 84 UTM: 13S 384196E 4270113N
- Crowd-sourced Gaia GPS routes.
- This link includes GPX tracks from the TH to the hut
- The alternate route around Mt. Aetna
- Skin track from LWH to St. Elmo
- Potential ski lines
- You can download this file and convert it into other file formats if you prefer to use CalTopo or Avenza etc.
- Disclaimer: Please note these are not routes we suggest nor recommend you use, nor are we stating that these are safe regarding avalanche conditions on any given day or year. These are not officially endorsed by Lost Wonder Hut or her partners. We are sharing crowd-sourced information, that is all. Use at your own risk.
- Trails Illustrated #130 (Salida, St. Elmo, Shavano Peak)
- Trails Illustrated #139 (LaGarita Wilderness/Cochetopa Hills)
- USGS Garfield
The map below shows the route to the Hut, and a copy of that map can be obtained by right-clicking on the map and saving it as an image.
Avalanche Alternate Route
If the snow conditions up in the Aetna slide chute look concerning to you, an alternate route can be taken to the south, around the bottom of the chute in the trees. Please check the avalanche report before you go to help with your decision-making. The report can be found by clicking here. The slide zone is on a south/southwest aspect. The location of the Hut is in the Swatch Range and has a south/southwest aspect. Upcoming weather can be found by clicking here. Snow conditions are best found by checking the Monarch snow report – only a few miles away from the hut as the crow flies – by clicking here.
The map below is from hillmap.com. It shows the slope angles of the peaks surrounding the Hut. A copy of this map can be obtained by clicking below the map.
To download a copy of the map above, click below.